Most of the blast cleaning work that we do here at the Rusty Bug Workshop is done with soda blasting, but we also offer a glass blasting service. The glass that we use is recycled glass, which is both effective and better for the environment than the glass beads that most people associate with glass blasting.
Why Use Recycled Glass?
There are a whole range of materials which can be used for blast cleaning – the most well known being sand and soda. Whilst here at Rusty Bug we often use soda, sand is far too abrasive for the work that we carry out – mainly on classic cars – but also on almost anything else which you can get to us.
Using recycled glass is not harmful to the environment in terms of residue or dust that it creates and is also a great way to recycle glass. It can use mixed colour glass, and is as effective – of not more – than other, more traditional and less eco-friendly blast cleaning alternatives.
Some of the other benefits of using recycled glass include:
- The angles of the glass give help it to be effective in good cleaning
- There are no salts or chlorides in the glass, giving it less of a chance of corrosion after a short amount of time
- The dust produced from glass blasting is less of a nuisance than from some of the other abrasives
- The properties of the glass leave the surface of the cleaned area in the perfect state for repainting
- The glass essentially has no `free-silica` meaning that the risk of silicosis is massively reduced
Where we get our supplies
We get our glass and soda blasting supplies from the local company, Precision Blast Systems Ltd who are based in Rudston, East Yorkshire. They provide blasting equipment and machinery as well as a range of the actual abrasives.
Whether you are looking to fully restore your classic car and needing to blast clean it`s body, or have garden furniture that needs a new lease of life – or maybe you are looking to create a piece of art with some old car parts and are looking to give them a good clean up, we can help you with your blast cleaning needs whatever they may be. Our experienced blast cleaning team know what abrasive to use – and how to get the best results for whatever purpose.
For more information about how we can help you with your blast cleaning, contact us here at the Rusty Bug Workshop!